Laser hair removal is one of the most commonly performed cosmetic procedures at Saint James Hospital. The laser emitted light hits the pigment in the follicle and destroys the hair. Hair removal by laser has many advantages over traditional methods such as waxing, shaving or electrolysis. It is much less painful than any of the other hair removal treatments, and results are much more long term. Hair laser can be performed on both men and women.
Laser hair removal is the process of removing unwanted hair by means of exposure to pulses of laser light that destroy the hair follicle.
Benefits of hair laser
- One of the biggest benefits of hair laser is the speed with with the treatment is done. Each pulse of the laser takes a fraction of a second and can treat many hairs at the same time. The laser can treat an area approximately the size of a coin every second. Small areas such as the upper lip can be treated in less than a minute, and large areas, such as the back or legs, may take up to an hour. Other treatments such as electrolysis are much more time consuming.
- The procedure is considered to be safe when performed properly by qualified and experienced personnel. At Saint James Hospital the treatment is only performed by fully trained and experienced medical professionals who are skilled in using lasers and have in-depth knowledge of the skin.
- Hair removal by laser is much less painful than other hair removal treatments. Just before the laser beam hits the skin and hair follicle a special cooling gas is sprayed on the area, greatly reducing any slight discomfort caused by the laser as well as protecting the skin.
- The treatment works – Laser hair removal is a very effective method of hair removal, unlike other traditional methods most patients have permanent hair reduction after an average of three to seven sessions.
- Hair laser removal is very effective for removing hair from large areas such as back or legs.
Things to be aware of when considering Hair Laser Removal
- Laser treatment will offer permanent hair reduction. Over time the amount of hair growing decreases significantly, yet top-up treatments might be required from time to time.
- You should also avoid sun exposure for six weeks before and after treatment. Sun exposure makes laser hair removal less effective and may cause pigmentation after treatment. Applying total sunblock before and after the procedure is very important.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a test patch?
Laser hair removal is more than just ”zapping” unwanted hair. It is a medical procedure that requires years of training to perform. Doctors performing this treatment at Saint James hospital have years of experience during which they have performed the treatment on hundreds of patients. A test patch is often performed by the doctor, prior to the treatment to ensure there are no adverse complications for the patient.
What you should do before having hair laser removal.
If you are planning on undergoing laser hair removal, you should limit plucking, waxing, and electrolysis for six weeks before treatment. That’s because the laser targets the hairs’ roots, which are temporarily removed by waxing or plucking. You should also avoid staying in direct sunlight for 6 weeks before the actual treatment.
What happens before the hair laser laser treatment itself?
Just before the procedure, your hair that will be undergoing treatment will be trimmed to a few millimeters above the skin surface. The laser equipment will be adjusted according to the color, thickness, and location of your hair being treated as well as your skin color.
Which body parts can have hair laser performed on?
The lasers designed for hair removal can be used on most parts of the body. Many lasers effectively treat large areas. Laser hair removal can treat the:
- Bikini area
- Face, especially the upper lip and chin.
Safety and Patient Confidentiality during Hair laser treatment
The laser treatment will take place in a room set up specifically for laser treatments. Everyone in the room must wear protective eyewear during the procedure. A special cooling spray will be automatically applied to the area being treated a split second before the laser light hits the hair follicle, this protects the skin around the area being treated. The treatment is performed by fully qualified medical professionals and patient privacy and confidentiality is observed at all times.
Laser hair reduction is one of the most common and most successful cosmetic procedures performed worldwide. Saint James Hospital in Tripoli has been offering this treatment in Libya for many years now and we have satisfied hundreds of satisfied male and female patients. We encourage you to contact us should you have any questions or difficulties about the treatment.